Well, we thought today was going to be a dull day, but we were apparently deaf, dumb and blind… we saw Helen Keller’s birth place. And I want to go on public record that was M’s joke. But I did find it funny, in a sick sort of way.
Actually, we really did think today was going to be dull, as we traveled the width of Mississippi going from Memphis back to Huntsville, AL. on a secondary highway, But as it turned out - it went relatively quickly, was more two lane highway than one lane, as I anticipated and had a few interesting things along the way.
It was god-awful hot though and as M. says, it’s the kind of heat that could really get to me. When I’m in it, I don’t really feel it. Yes, it’s hot, of course, but I don’t mind it and I don’t “feel hot,” but when I come out of it, it hits me like a tone of bricks and I feel woozy. We’re both exhausted today and I think it was the heat.
Anyway, we made it out of Memphis very easily. We did not have to go to the river and start from scratch. And we thought our big excitement was going to be a stop at UPS to mail some clothes home. Finding the UPS was easy, and it was cheaper than checking a bag. Interesting.
Then, because I am compulsive book, bulletin board etc. reader, we figured out we were going by Helen Keller’s birth place. So we stopped. After spending the few days with H. and, at least for me, realizing my sign has gone down hill a lot, it was a striking place to visit. When at Gallaudet, I met and interacted with several Deaf/Blind people, their communication is pretty amazing to me.
HK’s house was also supported by the Lions. So we took pictures of all the Lion stuff - we think we know a few Lions who will find it pretty cool. (They had a Lion’s flag from East Haddam.)
There were actually two houses, the birth place and a bigger house. And of course the famous well, but more impressive was seeing samples of her writing (far better than mine) and recordings of her speaking.
We then had a picnic at the Tenn. River (see aforementioned ribs!) It was definitely better than the McD or Sonic options otherwise available.
From there, we found our way to a Frank Lloyd Wright House: the Rosenbaum House. We got the tour… interesting. FLW was a jerk. I’d hate to live in the house, but there were some pretty neat things about it and I’m glad to see it. http://www.wrightinalabama.com/ I do think he had some very interesting ideas, but he was an arrogant puppy with no sense of comfort.
From there we stopped at the Huntsville Mall for a bookstore. Interestingly, there was no bookstore on the mall directory. But at least it did exist. M. is definitely going to need a book tomorrow. Tonight we are at the airport. It’s laughably small. We ate here, with a charming waiter who told us jokes. Tomorrow morning we fly out.
As always, I am a bit nervous about changing planes in Dulles. But M. points out that we don’t HAVE to be back tomorrow and it’s Dulles, not like there should be a shortage of planes flying out… I’ll still be happier when we are seated on the flight to Hartford. Eh, who am I kidding, I’ll be happier when we touch down in Hartford!
I shall give y’all one more post after this… let you know we arrived home safe and sound to cats who are probably not going to speak to us till the middle of the night, when they won’t leave us alone. All in all, it’s been a good trip and much better than I could have ever imagined. It’s both reinforced and changed my views of the south. I would recommend Alabama and hope to at some point return to Memphis. I would definitely do this region driving tour thing again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
“Life is dull only to dull people”
ReplyDeleteSo you see, you and M are not dull and life is good and full of excitement and adventure.
Yes, do let us know that you are home safe and sound (and rarin' to come back to work)!
P.S. We had an ice cream party in your office yesterday...I couldn't control the troops and they cleaned up your office :)!